Apparently, he turned to the local news station for help because his landlord was not taking steps to address the problem. He said that not only did the fumes make him sick and send him to the hospital, it temporarily broke up his family. Many went to live with nearby family members.
As for the smell, he says it was like “rotten eggs. It caused me to get sick, and the property manager didn’t do anything about it. [I] experienced dizziness, waking up coughing, eyes burning, throat burning, not being able to focus, and I’m normally a healthy guy.”
While the local television station did report the unflattering story, the man still had to take more steps to try and get his landlord to resolve the situation. He called the City of Aurora and when the officers showed up, “he didn’t even have to go into the bathroom. He could smell the odor as soon as I opened the door.”
The officer cited the landlord and gave the landlord one week to fix the problem. However, the man renting the unit said as of one week, nothing had been done.
So what’s going on? The tenant said the only way he can get any relief is to clog up the bathroom sink as well as the bathtub sink.
A plumber was finally called in, snaked the bathroom pipes, and said he found “nothing in the pipes.” Because of this, the plumber assumed that because there was nothing in the pipes, the pipes were not the cause of the problem.
However, in this case, he was likely wrong. We have seen similar situations just like this happen over and over again. The fact that there was nothing in the pipe was the problem. All the water that usually blocks odors in the “P” or “U” shaped trap under the sinks had evaporated
It is very likely this apartment had been vacant for one or more months. That’s about all it takes for the P trap to dry up.